The forest zone, in its turn, also has a subdivision into: Rainforest. … The rainforest in Nigeria is built of high-mountainous multi-tiered tropical forests, which contain trees of 40-45 meters. They are mahoganies, walnuts, irokos, oil palms, rubber trees, and obeche trees.
What is forest zone in Nigeria?
The ecological zones in Nigeria are based on Keay (1949), and are defined from South to North as follows: Mangrove Swamp and Coastal Vegetation, Freshwater Swamp Forest, Lowland Rain Forest, Derived Savanna, Guinea Savanna, Sudan Savanna, and Sahel Savanna.
What is the forest zone?
natural zones of the continents in the northern and southern hemispheres, characterized by the presence of forest vegetation (chiefly coniferous and deciduous species) and by the prevalence of podzols and brown earth.
How many forest zone do we have in Nigeria?
In terms of vegetation structure, Nigeria can be divided into nine vegetation zones (Siynabola et al., 2003). Out of these, five are forest formations and four are savanna formations (Figure 1). The forest types are mangrove, freshwater swamp, lowland rain forest, riparian, and montane forests respectively.
Which forest is grown in Nigeria?
Mitragyna ciliata, an important economic timber species, is typical of the swamp forests. The mangrove and freshwater swamps, for which total wood production within Nigeria has been estimated as 609 630 000 kg /year present severe problems for exploitation because of their flooded conditions.
What are the 4 types of forest?
Forest: Type # 1. Tropical Forest:
- (i) Tropical wet evergreen forest:
- (ii) Tropical semi-evergreen forest:
- (iii) Tropical moist deciduous:
- (iv) Tropical dry evergreen forest:
- (v) Dry tropical deciduous:
- (vi) Dry tropical thorn forest:
- (i) Sub-Tropical hill forest:
- (ii) Sub-Tropical pine forest:
What are the two types of forest?
What are the different types of forests found in India?
- Tropical Deciduous Forests. These trees have broadleafs. …
- Tropical Rain Forests. These are also called equatorial rainforests. …
- Montane Forests. This type of forest is found in mountain or hilly areas. …
- Tropical Thorn forests. …
- Swamp Forests.
What are the 5 types of forest?
These forests can be classified in five major groups namely:
- Moist tropical forest.
- Dry tropical forest.
- Montane temperate forest.
- Montane sub tropical forest.
- Alpine forest.
What is another name for forest zone?
What is another word for forest?
|barren region||arid region|
What is the most common type of forest?
- Forest Type # 1. Equatorial Moist Evergreen or Rainforest:
- Forest Type # 2. Tropical Deciduous Forest:
- Forest Type # 3. Mediterranean Forests:
- Forest Type # 4. Temperate Broad-leaved Deciduous and Mixed Forest:
- Forest Type # 5. Warm Temperate Broad-leaved Deciduous Forest:
- Forest Type # 6.
What are the six vegetation zones in Nigeria?
Vegetation belts in Nigeria reflect the tight link between the vegetation and the country’s climate:
- Fresh Water Swamp;
- Sahel Savanna;
- Short Grass Savanna;
- Guinea Savanna;
- Marginal Savanna;