The equator passes through Kenya, and the capital of Nairobi is just over a degree from the line. A trip to Nairobi offers travelers the chance to experience Africa’s unique wildlife as well as a buzzing metropolis.
Which cities are closest to the equator?
Cities on Or Near the Equator
What large cities does the equator pass very near to or through?
Largest cities straddling the Equator
- Quito, Ecuador: 2,671,191 (2011)
- Kampala, Uganda: 1,659,600 (2012)
- Pekanbaru, Indonesia: 1,093,416 (2014)
- Padang, Indonesia: 1,024,906 (2014)
- Libreville, Gabon: 797,003 (2012)
- Pontianak, Indonesia: 573,751 (2014)
- Kisumu, Kenya: 409,928 (2009)
- Macapa, Brazil: 397,913 (2010)
Where does the equator pass through?
The Equator passes through 13 countries: Ecuador, Colombia, Brazil, Sao Tome & Principe, Gabon, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Maldives, Indonesia and Kiribati.
Which country is the closest to the equator?
The countries through which the equator runs are:
- São Tomé and Principe.
- Republic of the Congo.
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo.
What happens when you cross the equator?
It was a way for sailors to be tested for their seaworthiness. When a ship crosses the equator, King Neptune comes aboard to exercise authority over his domain and to judge charges brought against Pollywogs that they are only posing as sailors and haven’t paid proper homage to the god of the sea.
How hot is it at the equator?
Average annual temperatures in equatorial lowlands are around 31 °C (88 °F) during the afternoon and 23 °C (73 °F) around sunrise. Rainfall is very high away from cold ocean current upwelling zones, from 2,500 to 3,500 mm (100 to 140 in) per year.
Which city is closest to Tropic of Capricorn?
- Monument marking the Tropic of Capricorn just north of Antofagasta, Chile.
- Sundial on the Tropic of Capricorn, Jujuy Province, Argentina.
- Sign marking the tropic in Maringá, Brazil.
- Marker for the tropic in Maringá, Paraná, Brazil.