Dlamini was the most common surname for both sexes, followed by Nkosi and Ndlovu. All the top ten baby surnames were generally of the Nguni clan, with the exception of Mokoena, which ranked sixth.
What are common South African last names?
The most common South African surnames
- Nkosi (289,513)
- Dlamini (244,336)
- Botha (215,864)
- Khumalo (214,182)
- Mahlangu (212,801)
- Ndlovu (193,585)
- Smith (182,680)
- Naidoo (179,257)
What is the rarest last name?
The Rarest Last Names
- Acker (old English origin) meaning “field”.
- Agnello (Italian origin) meaning “lamb”. …
- Alinsky (Russian origin), a truly unique surname to find.
- Aphelion (Greek origin) meaning “point of the orbit at the greatest distance from the sun”.
- Bartley (English origin) meaning “clearing in woodland”.
What is the most used name in South Africa?
The most popular names in South Africa right now
- Enzokuhle (“Do good” in isiZulu) was the most popular name for baby girls and boys in South Africa in 2017, according to data from Statistics SA.
- Dlamini was the most common surname for both sexes followed by Nkosi and Ndlovu.
- More boys were born in 2017 than girls.
What’s the most popular surname in Africa?
Most Popular African Last Names Or Surnames:
- Abara: Originating from the Igbo group of West Africa, Abara means ‘spirit’.
- Abebe: The genesis of this Ethiopian name is Amharic, and it means ‘flower’ or ‘blossom’.
- Abimbola: …
- Abiodun: …
- Abioye: …
- Acheampong: …
- Achebe: …
What are common African last names?
25 Popular African Last Names Rich In Culture And History
- Adébáyọ̀ Origin: Nigerian (Yoruba) …
- Abebe. Origin: Ethiopian. …
- Ababio. Origin: Ghanaian. …
- Kanumba. Origin: Tanzanian. …
- Keita. Origin: Malian. …
- Kimathi. Origin: Kenyan. …
- Bankole. Origin: West African (Yoruba) …
- Gbeho. Origin: Ghanaian.
What is a good African name?
Popular Baby Names , origin african
|Abimbola||Born to be wealthy||African|
|Abiodun||Nigerian name given to one born during war.||African|
|Abiola||Nigerian name given to one born during the New Year.||African|
|Abiona||Born on a journey||African|
What is the most common name in the world?
Most Popular First Names In The World
What is the least popular last name?
Here are 100 of the Rarest Last Names in the U.S. as of the 2010 Census
What is the rarest first name?
30 Of The Rarest Baby Names
- 8 Rosalind.
- 7 Indigo.
- 6 Shepherd.
- 5 Georgiana.
- 4 Chester.
- 3 Indra.
- 2 Baxter.
- 1 Pax.
What is the most common girl name in South Africa?
Dlamini was the most common surname among babies born and registered in 2014, the report stated. “Obviously, when a child is born and they are not named yet, they may call you ‘Junior’ or ‘Baby,’” Lehohla said.
Popular baby names in South Africa.
|Female Baby Names|
|Rank||Female first name||Number|
What is the most common name in 2020?
Top 10 Baby Names of 2020
|Rank||Male name||Female name|
Is Gifty a common name in South Africa?
The name Gifty is of African origin, and is used mostly in African countries but also in a few other countries and languages of the world.